- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Posted by
WendyR
on
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
KONGOS - these guys I just found out about a couple of weeks ago. This is an amazing family band. KONGOS consists of the Kongos brothers - Johnny (accordion/keyboards/vocals), Jesse (drums/percussion/vocals), Dylan (bass guitar/vocals) and Daniel (guitar/vocals). They are from South Africa and also spent some time in London.
I immediately heard their single Come with Me Now and I'm hooked. They recently released their debut album Lunatic (at least in the US). My favorites are Come With Me Now, I Want To Know and Take Me Back. You also have to listen to "Kids These Days" - it's a great lyrical track about the world today. Lunatic is another album I can listen through the entire album. I love finding family bands that mesh so well together and these guys do not disappoint.
I'm not going to lie I'm not an eloquent reviewer that can spot on pin point that they are a mesh between x,y and z bands or the singer sounds like this other singer. I honestly just like what I like and every new band has their own unique sound which makes them who they are. I know everyone has influences but I wonder if bands sometimes take offense with all the - you sound like "so and so" comments.
Kongos has a great sound with the addition of the accordion that actually really does work. If you haven't heard them yet check out Come With Me Now and go buy their album Lunatic..it's great!
Kongos is currently finishing up a tour opening for The Airborne Toxic Event in February. They are also on the bill for Firefly Festival - hoping they get some great exposure there. If you are near by - check them out!
2/7/14 Athens, GA/40 Watt Club
2/8/14 New Orleans, LA/Civic Theatre
2/10/14 Nashville, TX/Exit In
2/11/14 Tulsa, OK/The Vanguard
2/12/14 St. Louis, MO/The Pageant
2/13/14 Chicago, IL/Cubby Bear
2/14/14 Detroit, MI/The Fillmore
2/15/14 Milwaukee, WI/The Rave
6/19/14 Dover, DE/Firefly Festival
I am so bummed this band is no longer on the SXSW schedule, but I am glad that I discovered them - I'm pretty sure these guys are going to have a great year this year and continue getting great exposure.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Would love to see these guys live! Their new album Lunatic is amazing.
ReplyDelete