SXSW - SPEAK (Q&A)

SPEAK - Oh how I adore this band. I am so glad my local radio station played these guys so I can revel in their awesomeness. I can thank www.1031iheartaustin.com for playing them which is how I first heard about them.  I didn't even know they were a local band until a DJ mentioned it because to me their songs are that good, they just blend in with all the other great music that the station currently plays. 

I recently got to see these guys live (actually my current background pic is from their show) and boy I was not disappointed. I do judge a band for how well they perform live and the boys are so in sync. Troupe's vocals have such a great range and the band has a wonderful chemistry, almost a methodical stage presence but in a good way - very seamless.  The band consists of Troupe Gammage (keyboard and lead vocals), Nick Hurt (guitar and vocals), Joey Delahoussaye (bass and vocals), and Jake Stewart (drums). Their debut album I Believe In Everything came out in 2011 and my favs from that album are Carrie and Wars. Late last year they came out with the single Peaks and I became even more enamored by this band. 

Their brand new single Be Reasonable, Diane is just as yummy as Peaks, and I can't wait for their new album to come out later this year. 










The twittersphere is awesome and Troupe is cool, so he answered a couple of questions I sent over.   

2014 goals for SPEAK? 

Release our second album and tour outside of the US. 

Who would be on your dream tour? 

Peter Gabriel, Blur, SPEAK

What were the inspirations for the new album? (noting that the two new singles are a little bit different from the debut album)

The new stuff is sort of a reaction to our experience with the first record and the way it was perceived...so this time we took a lot more control, self-producing everything. Creating something for ourselves more than anything. And of course all the different music we were listening to influenced it..Kanye West, Deerhoof, Tegan and Sara, Miguel, etc. 

SPEAK is touring with RAC this spring. 

3.16 Dallas / Prophet Bar
3.18 Atlanta / Terminal West
3.19 Carrboro / Cat's Cradle
3.20 Washington, DC / 930 Club
3.21 Boston / The Sinclair
3.24 Brooklyn / Rough Trade




Check back after SXSW as I know I will post a live review of these guys when it's fresh on my mind. 

Comments

  1. I downloaded a couple songs last week on your recommendation to check them out. Excited they will be at profit bar (The Old Gypsy tea room) in March, and plan on going!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment