SXSW - TO KILL A KING

I can actually thank Dan Smith from Bastille for wearing a To Kill A King T-shirt on various live shows and such to start off. Then, I bought my ticket for Bastille's show in April and the opening band is of course To Kill A King.  Two weeks later and they are magically on the SXSW band list even though I'm pretty sure they weren't in any of the first round announcements. So of course I have to research and listen to TKAK.  The category they are listed in is folk - but I don't categorize them as that at all. 

To Kill A King is from Leeds, England and comprised of Ralph Pelleymounter (vocals/acoustic guitar), Josh Platman (bass), Josh Taffel (drums), Grant McNeil (electric guitar), and Ben Jackson (synth and keys). I had a hard time deciding on which song to post because they are all good! I am excited to see how they perform live and if their balcony sessions on you tube are any indication, I'm sure it's going to be amazing. 

If I could categorize them in anyway their sound is maybe a hybrid of Mumford & Sons, Frightened Rabbit and Grizzly Bear. I'm excited to see them both at SXSW and again in April.

TKAK actually have really good videos so check out Funeral, Cold Skin, Howling (which is comprised of over 5,000 pictures taken to create the video- reminds me of Peter Gabriel's Big Time MV)  Here is the video for Rays - because it has vampires and stuff and it's a good track. If I had to choose my favorite song by them, it is probably Bloody Shirt. 





Definitely check back after SXSW, hoping I get lucky and get to meet them, too like I did Bastille last year. You can connect with TKAK here:



Comments