- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Posted by
WendyR
on
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
This is my first concert review and I waited a week to write it all down probably mainly because of nervousness. I have been listening to White Lies since the summer - my local radio station actually did a great thing and added two of their songs from Big TV to their playlist and I immediately had to look them up. Thankfully I added the band to facebook and twitter and was so happy to find they were coming to Emo's on a weekend I didn't have my kids. For every concert I go to, the two weeks leading up to the show, I kind of dork out on their music so I can be fully prepared for the show.
As I walked up to Emo's with my pre-purchased ticket in hand knowing that the concert wasn't sold out - I feel like I am in on some little secret, like I am going to see an amazing display of musical talent tonight and there will be so many people that are missing out. I actually was pretty spot on with that assumption. These guys are used to filling up quite larger venues in the UK and playing at massive summer festivals. I wonder how they feel playing at smaller venues in the US and not even to capacity on some nights.
As I walked up to Emo's with my pre-purchased ticket in hand knowing that the concert wasn't sold out - I feel like I am in on some little secret, like I am going to see an amazing display of musical talent tonight and there will be so many people that are missing out. I actually was pretty spot on with that assumption. These guys are used to filling up quite larger venues in the UK and playing at massive summer festivals. I wonder how they feel playing at smaller venues in the US and not even to capacity on some nights.
Frankie Rose was the warm up band and I must say, they were pretty good. She was great with the crowd, has a wonderful voice and a great rockin' female guitar player. Her sound is shoegaze to me but that's a good thing. Their set was cut short due to the strict time schedule venues have to be on when it's an all ages show. (All shows have to be done by 11:30pm at the latest)
It's finally time for White Lies to come on. Their track listing is pretty extensive so I was worried about not knowing most of the words to the songs -but I did a good job with my "warm up" and was singing along to almost every one. Note to self - I will have to take notes on set lists - I didn't write down all the songs. I truly judge a band by their live performance and this night was a night I will not likely forget. The band comes out and Harry is in his usual white shirt, jeans and converse unless he is at a big festival, or on Letterman or something. I mean I knew the guys were cute, but even cuter still live and in person. Harry is great with the crowd, talking and being truly appreciative of the fans. He also gave Austinites some props for being really into music - which we are :) The first song was There Goes Our Love Again which was perfectly fitting - my first song I ever heard by these guys and the live version is even better than the recording. In my opinion there are few bands that are even BETTER live than just listening to their songs, White Lies is one of them.
A few songs in and the band had a little mishap where they had to stop for a second and then got back on track. It was actually really cute with Harry apologizing, as we were the first live show for them in a couple of months. It also reminds me that even musicians are human and not every single show is always going to go perfectly. Totally fine in my book. They also did a great Prince cover of I Would Die for You with just Harry, Jack and Charles on stage. It was really great.
Almost an hour and a half later I am just amazed! I luckily met another fan who also went to the show by herself so we totally headed straight to the stage and had the best view ever of the concert. I am even more of a fan now after seeing these guys live. After a short encore they ended with Big TV and Bigger Than Us which were both amazing songs. If you ever get a chance to see these guys live, don't miss them. Harry's vocals are so strong and amazing live and if you like drummers - Jack is a beast on drums! I can't recall a drummer that is just hard core and consistent throughout the entire show in a really long time. As far as drummers go, in my opinion, Jack Lawrence-Brown might just be one of the most underrated drummers playing today.
Here are a few pics from last night-Please note these are all on my phone - I am not a photographer and apologize for the lack of photographic talent because I have none!
Here is the rest of their US tour dates - if they are coming near you - don't miss them!!!
Feb 22 - Washington DC/9:30 Club
Feb 23 - Philadelphia/Union Transfer
Feb 25 - New York/Webster Hall
Feb 27 - Toronto/Mod Club
Apr 11 - Tucson/Rialto Theatre
Apr 12 - Coachella
Apr 14 - Las Vegas/Brooklyn Bowl
Apr 16 - Oakland/The Parish
Apr 17 - Sacramento/Harlow's
Apr 19 - Coachella
Apr 22 - Portland/Roseland Theater
Apr 23 - Seattle/Showbox at the Market
Apr 24 - Vancouver/Venue
I just realized some might be reading this and don't know the greatness of White Lies - so I'm posting two videos by this band, one from their older album and one from the new one. These are my two favorite songs by them. Although they have been compared to Interpol or some darker bands - I consider them a modern day Tears For Fears - some of their lyrical content is deep but I don't know how to explain the live show - it is upbeat and puts me in a good mood if that makes any sense. Links for There Goes our Love Again and Farewell to the Fairground:
This is my first band review but there will be many more. I'm just here to share my experience and I hope other fans will appreciate. It's all about the music - and this band is truly one to see live. This page will be overly busy come next month, time for me to see more bands that I probably would all year. SXSW is right around the corner. I can't wait!
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps



Comments
Post a Comment