- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Posted by
WendyR
on
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
MODOC is a great up and coming rock band that I am really excited about seeing this year at ACL. For me with music these days I feel there is so much synth or electronic stuff being incorporated into really popular rock bands, sometimes I just want to hear someone go off on a guitar and rock out. Well I can listen to Modoc now when I want to hear just that.
The four members of MODOC (Clint Culberson on vocals/guitars, Kyle Addison on lead guitars/vocals, Caleb Crockett on bass/vocals and John Carlson on drums/vocals) first met through the regional music scene at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana. Culberson, who had previously lived in a nearby, one stop light town called Modoc, suggested the name during a band brainstorming session. The moniker was unique, direct and memorable. And it somehow fit perfectly.
After migrating south to Nashville they have found their home in this music community and released their self titled debut last year. Clint was so gracious to answer a few questions for me so you can find out a little bit more about this great band.
WMB: Besides touring, are there any other goals for the band in the next 12 months?
CC: Yes, touring is obviously a constant goal. We are writing for our new record now and in the next couple months we're deciding where to record and with whom. The goal is to have it ready to go by this fall but it will be due to release early next year. There is a lot of planning and goal-setting that goes into making a new record.
WMB: Do you feel moving to Nashville has been a good decision for you guys? It doesn't seem to be just for country bands anymore.
CC: It's the best decision we could have made. Nashville has become home. It isn't just for country bands, you're right. It is a melting pot for amazing talent of every genre. The scene is alive and well and we all cheer each other on. We're super grateful to be a part of it.
WMB: If you guys could go on a dream tour with past or present bands - who else would play with you guys?
CC: This list could go on forever...Pearl Jam, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, QOTSA, Neil Young, Flaming Lips. Some of which we'll be playing the same festivals this year! Stones or Zeppelin would have been sweet - we hear they could party.
WMB: How cool is it to return to Austin later this fall for ACL after doing SXSW?
CC: We love Austin! We always have a ball at SXSW - we're excited to play a festival where we can make sure we see most of what's happening! SXSW is so spread out and there is so much to see that we just physically can't. The hospitality and overall attitude of the city is a spectacle. Honestly, we can't think of a place we'd rather play at festival!
I have to give major props to Clint and his manager Johnny - they replied so fast and this is great stuff! I am super excited about seeing them live (I obviously didn't even know they were at South By or I would have made it a point to see them back in March).
Now..on with great music. I warn you the song I'm about to post is really infectious and you kinda have to listen to it more than once! The album is great, Fortune and Fame is another one of my favorite tracks.
If you can't make it to ACL they have other festivals coming up (listed below). Go catch them live, like/follow them wherever you can or better yet buy the album and tell a friend! I'm already calling it - these guys are going to break out very soon - Runnin' needs to be on the radio - like now.
5/30/14 - Downtown Block Party in the Entertainment District/Kalamazoo, MI
6/6/14 - Columbus Arts Festival/Columbus, OH
6/7/14 - Music Tree Festival - Downtown Manchester/Manchester, TN
6/13/14 - The Vinyl/Atlanta, GA
6/14/14 - CutBait Festival/Columbus, GA
6/20/14 - The Gramaphone w/TheLonely Biscuits/St. Louis, MO
6/21/14 - Fairfest/Fairfield, IA
7/12/14 - Bunbury Festival/Cincinnati, OH
7/23/14 - The Fire/Philadelphia, PA
7/24/14 - Rockwood Music Hall/New York, NY
7/25/14 - The Rock Shop/Brooklyn, NY
7/56/14 - Hill Country Backyard BBQ/Washington, DC
8/23/14 - Mayday Brewery/Murfreesboro, TN
10/3/14-10/5/14 - ACL Festival/Austin, TX
You can connect with Modoc here:
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments

You are right, Wendy. Runnin' needs to be on the radio right now!
ReplyDeleteSo true! I have a feeling about these guys and I have been trying to get them played on my local stations, too.
Delete