Sofar Sounds Austin 5.17.14 - CHAMBERS, RUBY JANE and THE ROOM SOUNDS

I went to a Sofar Sounds concert yesterday and I'm so glad I was able to go. First off - if you have not signed up on the list or been to a Sofar Sounds concert, you need to click on www.sofarsounds.com and go sign up if they are in your town. If they aren't in your town and you think the idea is as cool as I do - then volunteer to start one or open your home up to host a great concert.

Sofar Sounds is put together strictly by volunteers that love music. People let bands play and strangers come and watch the bands and no money exchanges hands. I do want to note if you attend, bring some cash as the bands will have merch/cd's for sale and Sofar will have a donation bucket so they can print collateral and make sure shows run smoothly. Sofar Sounds is great because it aligns with my entire point of this blog which is discovering really great music from bands you probably haven't heard of. In my opinion Sofar is the perfect way to see bands in an intimate setting with respect to the band (there is no talking allowed) and hearing some tunes and bands you probably haven't heard before that are actually GOOD. 

This will be my third Sofar show. I have decided I will start regularly blogging on the ones I do attend to just help further thank the bands that do something cool like this and to thank Sofar for taking the time to put this together and also spread the word about how cool it is.

If you haven't been before it's kind of like you are in the know. Once you make "the list" you get sent an e-mail with the location a day or two before the concert and you know it's a Sofar show because the streets are lined with cars and you see the little Sofar sign at the address listed in your e-mail. 


 

I almost feel like I'm crashing someone's house party that I don't know ha. After you walk up to the "door guy" they mark your name off the list and you are free to find a place to sit. Did I mention you don't find out who is playing until you get there? That is the other cool thing because more than likely you haven't heard of the bands before so you are in for a surprise.

If you end up going - make sure and get there at least 15 minutes early so you will get a decent seat. Everyone sits down - so you get cozy with strangers and that way everyone can see the show. For this show the line up is posted and I'm ready to hear some great music. 




First up is Chambers - they are from Denton, TX and were cool enough to drive to Austin to do a show like this. They let us know this is kind of a toned down version of their music normally but it was very atmospheric and I enjoyed it very much. I really liked the male/female vocals and the almost shoegaze-ish sound.  I hope to catch a show sometime with amps and stuff :) 


Next up is Ruby Jane - she is pretty much a 19 year old fiddle prodigy and doing something I haven't seen before. The usual route for her could easily be country but with her unique vocals and style - I am glad she is taking an alternative route. I did have to video tape her rendition of Alt-J's Tessellate because it was well - beautiful. I definitely need to keep up with this local Austin artist and catch a few more shows. I was very impressed with her show and the acoustic setting was perfect to showcase her talent. 




The last band is The Room Sounds who is a rock band from Dallas, TX that has some definite classic rock influences in there so I would also like to see an amped up show. I hope they do make it back to Austin again soon. I also have this lovely part of google photos that likes to turn consecutive pictures I take into cool little gifs and it did it with The Room Sounds pics I took so here you go. 


All in all I just want to say thanks to Sofar Sounds Austin for doing what they do and each band for coming and playing for us. I can't wait for the next show and I'm super supportive of all the bands that play and the mission that Sofar Sounds has. It's no wonder Sofar has spread to over 35 countries. If you want to volunteer they are always looking for people to help - they need videographers, photographers - people to help make signs, people to open up their home for a concert and Sofar Reviewers that vote on the music and bands that ultimately end up playing at shows. 

If you love music like I do, I hope you check out Sofar Sounds, get involved and support the bands that agree to play these gigs for absolutely nothing. 

Comments