PAPA - Live Concert Review (Red 7 - 6/15/14)

I wish I had the energy to stay up super late and write reviews the night of shows but I just don't. I actually had a weeknight where I didn't have my kids and knew PAPA were coming in town and I didn't want to miss it. So here is my review a week later. PAPA was on my list to see live during SXSW but the night I had tried to go see them - the venue was at capacity. 

This was PAPA's first headlining gig in Austin. It was father's day night and not super crowded but there were some really great  fans that were excited to be there. 

The opening band was Austin's own The Sour Notes and I really dig their sound. This was the first time I have seen them live. The cool part is that the drummer and bassist (both ladies) switch instruments throughout each song - pretty great talent right there. I enjoyed their sound and they have a new album coming out as well. If you get the chance to check them out live, definitely a good show. 




PAPA already has a great sound, songwriting and is not like every other band out there currently. The final step for me to be completely excited about a band is finally to see them live.. As far as live shows go, PAPA did not disappoint. If you want to know more about the band, check out my post from SXSW

First off I have to give major props to Darren Weiss. What a great talent to be able to drum and sing an entire show and surprisingly not be out of breath by the end of it. He is also super cool and very personable on stage. Sometimes bands get up there and just play without really connecting with the crowd. He connected really well. There was a guy that kept screaming "We love you" multiple times and there was some banter back and forth which was pretty funny. I am posting the video from Put me to Work and I'm pretty sure when Darren gets up and runs into the crowd it is to high five the "We Love You" guy. 

I almost feel like I'm cheating the up and coming bands for only paying $12 to come watch a great show so I usually buy some merch. I was too chicken to ask for a picture with them afterward but I did say thanks for a great show as I bought my t-shirt. I'm really excited to see what else PAPA has in store and I hope you can catch them live someday as well. Here is one of my gif pictures from the show and also the video from Put Me To Work that they played live. 






PAPA just recently finished up their summer tour but they do have a couple of show leading up to Lollapalooza. You can connect with the band here:


Upcoming Dates: 
7/24/14/Santa Monica, CA - Santa Monica Pier - Twilight Series
8/1/14/Chicago, IL - Double Door
8/2/14/Chicago, IL - Lollapalooza

Comments