- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Posted by
WendyR
on
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Harper is a great band from the UK with an eclectic mix of elements in their sound. They have a great alternative rock sound with a shot of blues and some definite psychedelic undertones. Harper hails from East London/Essex and they have been together for just over a year.
Harper is made up of Matthew Broadbent (Vocals/Guitars), Daniel Bhattacharya (Lead Guitar/Backing Vocals), Toby Thacker (Drums/Backing Vocals), and Jamie Simpson (Bass/Backing Vocals)
Matthew was super cool to answer a few questions for me so you can learn a bit more about these mates.
WMB: I am so impressed with bands that are newly formed and sound like they have been playing for years - Harper definitely falls into that category...how long did it take to create good chemistry as a band? Have you known each other a while before starting the band?
MB: Thanks for the compliment. We really wouldn't know how else to sound. The whole coming together of the band was quite organic, so the chemistry was never something we had to worry about. Me and Daniel have been friends since we were about 12/13 and have always written songs together, it kind of just happens when we hang out. Similarly, Jamie and I have been good friends since we were about around 14/15, and I've known Toby for 2 or 3 years. Jamie, Toby and I live a stones throw from each other so we're together basically all the time, in one way or another. It's quite intense.
WMB: You guys recently released Mono No Aware and the stellar single What More Can You Give. Is there another EP in the works or any specific goals for the band in the coming year?
MB: We're always writing songs and introducing new sounds to each other, it's our way of keeping things fresh. We see each new song as a goal really. But it's weird, you spend all this time together writing all these songs and then you realise you've got to record them in a studio and you've got to release them. There are so many things we want to push on with but recording this new batch of songs is definitely up there. We'd really like to get out of London and play in places completely alien to us as well. By that I mean other cities.
WMB: When are you going to get on Spotify...or are you on I-Tunes? I'm over here in Texas you know. Thank goodness What More Can You Give was a free download ;)
MB: We've been trying to do that for a while now, but things have been getting in the way...It's certainly something that's on the cards in the very near future. I'm not promising anything, but hopefully we'll have that ready by our next release. It's definitely something we all want to do.
WMB: Mono No Aware quality is pretty good - did you record in a studio or work with a producer?
MB: Thanks - I'm glad you think so. We recorded 'Mono No Aware' at Shelter Studios in Dalston (East London) with a gentleman named Dominic Rippel. We did it over a weekend in February, and it was a lot of hard work to get to what we believe is the best representation of our sound right now.
WMB: I absolutely love What More Can You Give. For me it's the perfect blend of psychedelia, blues and rock. It doesn't sound like every one else out there which I feel makes you unique. Are you guys happy with the progression of your sound as a band?
MB: Thank you! It's amazing not only how our music can get to you all the way in Texas, but that it's something you enjoy is pretty incredible. We wouldn't have put it out if we weren't happy with it. We recorded and produced it ourselves, which we've done previously on our first single 'Feel So Hollow'. We wanted to make something that was still us at the core, but introducing new elements that perhaps aren't associated with our sound. We're really happy with how that and everything we're writing right now is sounding. It's really exciting not knowing where we're going next, it really could be anywhere.
WMB: If you had a dream tour or festival you could go to - who else would be playing with you (can be past or present bands)?
MB: There are so many...We're all big Jack White fans, supporting him would be a dream - And he's touring the UK in the autumn, so that might be interesting. Who knows? On the festival front, I would literally love to play anywhere, as long as the people there were into it. Or maybe not, I love that idea of playing somewhere completely out of your comfort zone and upsetting the status quo.
I am super excited to see what these guys end up doing in the future. I am definitely sharing their new track "What More Can You Give." It is currently a free download on their soundcloud so you can add it to your library. If you dig Harper like I do make sure and follow them on twitter, like on Facebook, follow them on Souncloud and spread the word.
Harper is made up of Matthew Broadbent (Vocals/Guitars), Daniel Bhattacharya (Lead Guitar/Backing Vocals), Toby Thacker (Drums/Backing Vocals), and Jamie Simpson (Bass/Backing Vocals)
Matthew was super cool to answer a few questions for me so you can learn a bit more about these mates.
WMB: I am so impressed with bands that are newly formed and sound like they have been playing for years - Harper definitely falls into that category...how long did it take to create good chemistry as a band? Have you known each other a while before starting the band?
MB: Thanks for the compliment. We really wouldn't know how else to sound. The whole coming together of the band was quite organic, so the chemistry was never something we had to worry about. Me and Daniel have been friends since we were about 12/13 and have always written songs together, it kind of just happens when we hang out. Similarly, Jamie and I have been good friends since we were about around 14/15, and I've known Toby for 2 or 3 years. Jamie, Toby and I live a stones throw from each other so we're together basically all the time, in one way or another. It's quite intense.
WMB: You guys recently released Mono No Aware and the stellar single What More Can You Give. Is there another EP in the works or any specific goals for the band in the coming year?
MB: We're always writing songs and introducing new sounds to each other, it's our way of keeping things fresh. We see each new song as a goal really. But it's weird, you spend all this time together writing all these songs and then you realise you've got to record them in a studio and you've got to release them. There are so many things we want to push on with but recording this new batch of songs is definitely up there. We'd really like to get out of London and play in places completely alien to us as well. By that I mean other cities.
WMB: When are you going to get on Spotify...or are you on I-Tunes? I'm over here in Texas you know. Thank goodness What More Can You Give was a free download ;)
MB: We've been trying to do that for a while now, but things have been getting in the way...It's certainly something that's on the cards in the very near future. I'm not promising anything, but hopefully we'll have that ready by our next release. It's definitely something we all want to do.
WMB: Mono No Aware quality is pretty good - did you record in a studio or work with a producer?
MB: Thanks - I'm glad you think so. We recorded 'Mono No Aware' at Shelter Studios in Dalston (East London) with a gentleman named Dominic Rippel. We did it over a weekend in February, and it was a lot of hard work to get to what we believe is the best representation of our sound right now.
WMB: I absolutely love What More Can You Give. For me it's the perfect blend of psychedelia, blues and rock. It doesn't sound like every one else out there which I feel makes you unique. Are you guys happy with the progression of your sound as a band?
MB: Thank you! It's amazing not only how our music can get to you all the way in Texas, but that it's something you enjoy is pretty incredible. We wouldn't have put it out if we weren't happy with it. We recorded and produced it ourselves, which we've done previously on our first single 'Feel So Hollow'. We wanted to make something that was still us at the core, but introducing new elements that perhaps aren't associated with our sound. We're really happy with how that and everything we're writing right now is sounding. It's really exciting not knowing where we're going next, it really could be anywhere.
WMB: If you had a dream tour or festival you could go to - who else would be playing with you (can be past or present bands)?
MB: There are so many...We're all big Jack White fans, supporting him would be a dream - And he's touring the UK in the autumn, so that might be interesting. Who knows? On the festival front, I would literally love to play anywhere, as long as the people there were into it. Or maybe not, I love that idea of playing somewhere completely out of your comfort zone and upsetting the status quo.
I am super excited to see what these guys end up doing in the future. I am definitely sharing their new track "What More Can You Give." It is currently a free download on their soundcloud so you can add it to your library. If you dig Harper like I do make sure and follow them on twitter, like on Facebook, follow them on Souncloud and spread the word.
You can connect with Harper here:
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments

Great band. Seen them live many times adds a whole new dimension to them, well worth the publicity. Good Luck to them.
ReplyDelete