- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Posted by
WendyR
on
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
The band Montmartre has the perfect mix of elements for me. The vocals are amazingly strong and the addition of beats and mixing totally makes their sound unique. After doing a little research, I found there is also a Montmartre band from France - these guys are from London.
Montmartre formed in January 2013 following the demise of Joe’s university alt-folk outfit, the 6-music favourites ‘Joe Allen Band’. It was whilst performing in these other bands and guises that the idea for the name was first touted. The three’s different groups ended up on the same bill at a show in the Montmartre region of Paris in 2010. Three years later and following much debate over the correct pronunciation, ‘Montmartre’ became the working title for the trio’s first combined efforts and they released their self-titled ‘Montmartre’ EP in March 2013.
They have recently released Vacate and I am going to share my favorite track from it, but honestly they are all good. If you are a fan of Radiohead and awesome vocals, you need to check them out.
Montmartre is Richard (Kav) - Lead Guitar and Synth, Joe - Vocals, Guitar (occasional) and Synth, Matt - Bass in Vocals.
I'm sharing their track "Tell My Body I've Gone" but I also love "Any Other Place'. Their EP is on Spotify and available to purchase on i-tunes, bandcamp and amazon. If you love these guys, like their Facebook, follow on twitter, purchase their music and tell a friend.
Montmartre formed in January 2013 following the demise of Joe’s university alt-folk outfit, the 6-music favourites ‘Joe Allen Band’. It was whilst performing in these other bands and guises that the idea for the name was first touted. The three’s different groups ended up on the same bill at a show in the Montmartre region of Paris in 2010. Three years later and following much debate over the correct pronunciation, ‘Montmartre’ became the working title for the trio’s first combined efforts and they released their self-titled ‘Montmartre’ EP in March 2013.
They have recently released Vacate and I am going to share my favorite track from it, but honestly they are all good. If you are a fan of Radiohead and awesome vocals, you need to check them out.
Montmartre is Richard (Kav) - Lead Guitar and Synth, Joe - Vocals, Guitar (occasional) and Synth, Matt - Bass in Vocals.
From Left to Right - Kav, Joe and Matt
The band was kind enough to answer some questions for me. I hope after you listen to these guys you want to learn more about them as well. Unless noted, the answers are from the band as a whole.
WMB: I was doing a little background research and I found another band that seems to be doing a lot of remixes with your same name. Have you had any confusion with followers or fans?
We played at a 'Paris is Burning' night in London at the end of last year. It's a monthly gig night which a lot of the French community in London go to. Apparently the Montmartre in Paris heard about it and spoke to the promoter and said "why have you booked us, we aren't ready to play live yet!" The promoter knew which Montmartre she was booking though!
WMB: Montmartre is a place in France, correct? I read the background of how the band name came about on your Facebook page which is cool (I listed above in the bio).. but how the heck do you pronounce it? ha.
We pronounce it 'Mon-Mart' with a barely audible 'r' on the end. It's pretty close to the right way (we think!) but any French person will likely correct that
WMB: Joe has an amazing voice. I absolutely love it. In my opinion, there are not that many strong vocalists out there these days and I hate comparing but your voice reminds me of Steven McKeller's from Civil Twilight - which is another really solid and talented band that doesn't get enough recognition. I have shared Tell My Body I've Gone on a Facebook music group I am a member of and Jeff Buckley has also been mentioned which has to feel amazing. Have you guys considered something like Sofar Sounds to really showcase his vocal talent in a more acoustic type setting?
JOE: Thank you. Buckley is a massive influence so happy with any comparison there. We will definitely do a few more acoustic sessions to mix things up a bit - we often jam some of the songs acoustically (normally during essential band practise tea breaks) and like how they sound so would be good to try some live.
KAV: The only acoustic thing we've ever done is a live recording of 'Johnny' which we did in our back garden - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g32Hn-RrhQ
WMB: Your sound is pretty full on the recordings. Can you recreate this sound live with just a trio? I know some trios travel with additional members to create the same effect when they are performing live (aka White Lies).
We'd like to think so. The last EP was recorded ‘live’ – except for vocals and some additional bits of guitar here and there. We are currently in the process of recruiting a full time drummer. We think it'll add more backbone to the live set and it’ll give us more freedom.
WMB: I absolutely love the additional elements added which I feel sets you guys apart. Was there a creative vision you wanted to sound like from the start - or did it just progress as you were creating each song?
When we first started we spent a lot of time talking about influences and what we wanted to sound like. However, you never really know what it is going to be like until you get into a room and start throwing ideas around. I think the fact we made the decision to use beats informed our sound somewhat.
WMB: Vacate is a lovely EP. Are there any plans for a full length album, or what are your goals as a band for the next year?
I'm sure we'll get round to a full length at some point, but the next plan is either going to be a double A-side or another EP. We're demoing tracks in our flat at the moment before we hit the studio. The next recordings will almost certainly have live drums on. The winter months will mean a lot of gigs in and around London. We'd love to play Glastonbury next year.
WMB: If you could go on a dream tour or festival. Who would be playing with you?
KAV: The Smiths to reform just for this tour.
MATT: Radiohead. Is that too obvious?
JOE: supporting Bjork would be wicked.
You can connect with Montmartre here:
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps

Comments
Post a Comment